Hey Everybody! Sorry for the hold up, unfortunately Alan and I both forgot to pack a USB cord so we can put our pictures on to our computers. But I bought us one in South Africa! So we are back in business! So far the trip has been unbelievable in countless ways. Our first stop was Puerto Rico and it already feels so long ago! In Puerto Rico I went Kayaking at night through a mangrove to a Bioluminescent Bay. In the bay there were algae that absorb the sun so that when they are afraid they glow bright green as a defense mechanism. It was awesome! As Alan and I dipped the oars of our 2 person kayak into the water it instantly illuminated. After a few days we left for Brazil. When we first arrived to Brazil it was the last 36 hours of Carnival (the biggest party on the planet)! At about 4 A.M. the next day I left for the Amazon. After about 12 hours of traveling the SAS group I was traveling with finally arrived to our Riverboat. Twenty-seven students 2 teachers and 1 lifelong learner lived on a Riverboat traveling up the Amazon while exploring the Rhio Negro, mangroves, indigenous villages, and jungles. We fished for piranhas ( I was the only one who did not catch 1, although I held a bunch and more than I can count stole my bait). We slept in hammocks and while visiting an indigenous village we were challenged to a soccer game. 11 on 11 full field 15 min halves! Two other guys and I were the only ones with soccer experience. I scored a goal and a penalty kick in an OT shoot out. We won in PK’s after tying 3-3. It felt good to play again and it was amazing how in the middle of the Amazon Jungle these villagers not only could play soccer but were good. What was more interesting to me was that these villagers who did not speak 1 word of English (but spoke 7 Indigenous languages) knew everything I was communicating to them on the soccer field. After the game they gave me a Ronhaldino Jersey and named me the MVP. After the Amazon and another 12 hour travel day I was back in Salvador for one last day/night with the boys before 9 days on the ship till South Africa. When we finally got to South Africa we were pumped! South Africa was arguably the best trip of my life. I did a 3 day Safari in Kariega a 1 hour flight and 1 hour bus ride away from Cape Town. I got to see lions, buffalo, giraffes, elephants, and at least 50 other animals within feet in their element. When I was 10 feet from a lion in the wild it was not only amazing and scary but it was defiantly one of the most humbling experiences of my life. The area we stayed was beautiful. There were green mountains, grassland, an infiniti pool, and all you can eat buffet (the good stuff) at every meal. Cape Town was also full of wonders; Table Mountain, Wine lands, Beaches, and Townships. Alan and I visited 3 Townships in Cape Town. We played with kids gave them candy and gifts it was so much fun. The nightlife was intense! Some of the nights in Cape Town will be remembered forever. I know this post is very long but believe me it still leaves a lot out! I hope you all are well!
Love and Miss You all,
Jon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Finally! Thank you for sharing your great adventures with all of us. We have been waiting to hear about your experiences. It is so much easier to understand and read in print since our phone conversations are so rare and often very hard to communicate. We are so happy to hear you are getting to interact with the people in all these other countries especially the children. Jon Dad and I firmly believe that you are leaving your mark on the children you meet. They will all remember that guy with the white hair! It made me very happy to hear you got a chance to play soccer one of the games I know you love and miss maybe you'll get to play baseball in Japan! Jon we miss you but we are so full of wonder and excitement for you that the time is going very quickly. That and the fact that Greg has been keeping us very busy with his big move! Please take lots of pictures to share with us all when you return.
Love You and Alan
Please be safe!
Hey Jon, It's cousin Amy, I am glad you finally had the time to let us know what an amazing time you are having. I am so happy for you and can't wait to hear all the great stories and see all the pictures. Sounds like your having a wild time and getting amazing memories that will last a lifetime. That was so awesome that you got to play soccer. I can only imagine the awesome memories you got to take away with you. You are in your prime and now is the time to soak up all that you can, before you have to enter the "real world". I know I don't have to tell you to enjoy the rest of your trip but I will anyway. Have a blast, enjoy the experience, you don't have to be good, but you MUST be safe...lol Love, Amy
PS Can't wait to see you!!!
Post a Comment